Facebook Ads

At Maggy, I decided to use Facebook ads because it was fairly easy to define the audience and target potential users. With my customer personas in place, I set out to target young millennials, living in big cities in the Netherlands, and who might be interested in downloading an all you can read magazine app. Needless to say, that didn’t work out so well. Though my audience was defined, it was still way too broad.

After attending a presentation from a company where Facebook is their main acquisition channel, I was determined I could do better for Maggy. The problem I had was not just in my audience, but also in the structure of my campaigns (there was none). After spending 2 days learning everything there was on Facebook Blueprint, I was ready to set up some campaigns for Maggy.

Maggy is a magazine app which gives users access to 45 different magazines, ranging from lifestyle such as Men’s/Women’s Health, to special interests like Truckstar or Formula 1 magazines. Each of these magazines already have their target audiences defined, so why not use that to target people?

I set up an ad campaign for mobile app downloads for special interests, and subsequently set up various ad sets not only per magazine, but also per age group. I then set up the ads with the minimum daily budget of €5 and let them run for 2 days. This experiment allowed me to see how well the ads were performing and from there, I could either shut them down, or keep them running and add more budget. This method proved to work really well and was also scalable with all other magazines. Believe it or not, our best performing audience were male Truckstar and Formula 1 fans, above the age of 40! Completely different than my initial customer persona. Because this campaign was optimized for mobile app install, I also minimized the hurdle for potential users to download the app. In the previous campaign that failed, I had tried sending them first to a landing page.

Lesson learned: your idea of who your customers should be and who they actually are can differ greatly. That’s why it’s also important to run short experiments with a small budget in order to test out who’s responding the most, and what works best. From there it’s easy to scale up!